
Yes, this is a weigh in I could definitely do. Why would I want to? Because I can!
So why in the world on the hottest day of the year at a record 105 degrees would I go and work out with a personal trainer? Because I Can!
So many things are about what I can't do and I went in with my personal goals in mind, practiced saying them and the results are outstanding! I have tried doing this before countless times with people determined that they are going to not only have me moving out of my chair, they are going to make me into twiggy in a year.
I'm sticking with my mantra: "What do you want?" And this is exactly the strategy I used every time the sales pitch got a bit over the top for me to take in. It worked! Thanks Karen Pryor, author of "Dont' Shoot the Dog". Every single time the trainer referred to my goals, I rejoiced! Any time she used her own mantra, I was "grateful for every movement that my body made".
And what I want is:
1. To do what I can with what I have.
2. To build any strength that I can.
3. To be grateful and marvel with joy in every movement that my body makes!
4. To do it for myself instead of the praise and lectures of others.
5. To do it because I Can!
It's a good feeling to have made it thru the first often intimidating hurdle of going to a health club. To keep smiling and to be free from the impulse of "exiting" at attempts to shock me into what will happen .. "if you don't!". Very simple, repeating, "I am here to do what I can with what I have, because I CAN!"
So, if someone says (referring to exercises and/or equipment) "I wouldn't use that one" or "you can't or shouldn't use that one" I simply reply with "and what I will use is... what I can, because I can!"
Very simple. Very direct. Very Successful!
Kudos to the personal trainer for being able to be a great teacher, compassionately and letting my goals be mine.

No comments:
Post a Comment